We offer a proven, enriched, integrated Christian education with a strong emphasis on both academic and character training.
We have chosen the proven Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) Programme as our core curriculum, to equip parents and educate students.
Founded in 1970, the ACE Programme is an individualised programme, tailored to each pupil’s level of learning. Used by more than 7,000 schools worldwide and about 40 in the UK, ACE is directed and distributed by Christian Education Europe, a body that offers our school invaluable materials, robust staff training and updated resources.
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES OF ACE
- biblical traditional values,
- academic excellence,
- diagnostic testing,
- individualised instruction,
- mastery-based learning – which avoids learning gaps, and
- reasoning skills.
The DfE’s White Paper, Educational Excellence Everywhere (2016) notes the merits of such an approach, ‘…the use of mastery teaching methods, for example, can lead to an additional five months’ progress over the course of a school year compared to mainstream approaches.’
- Word Building – handwriting, spelling and grammar
- Social Studies – history, geography and Bible study
Academic electives, stand-alone educational software, and learning-to-read programmes are added for enhanced learning opportunities.
The core curriculum is delivered through preschool to Year 13 in five main stages:
- Learning to Read
- Junior Learning Centre
- Intermediate Learning Centre
- Senior Learning Centre
RESULTS FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2017/18
| Yrs 1 – 4
||Yrs 5 & 6||Yrs 7 – 13|
|All subjects Overall||96.2%||94.6%||92.8%|
HOW OUR STUDENTS WORK
- In the ACE Curriculum, each subject is presented in workbooks called PACE’s (Packets of Accelerated Christian Education) which are working documents that lead the student stage-by-stage through each subject. Each subject consists of 12 PACEs per level. Students work daily on PACEs one at a time, in each of the subjects. Each student generally completes a minimum of 72 PACEs in one academic year; however, this varies according to the student’s ability.
- Students master the material at a speed consistent with their ability as they work in private workstations/offices in the Learning Centre.
- The knowledge in a PACE builds upon what the student has learned in the previous PACE’s – in this way he or she is constantly adding to a store of knowledge.
- Advancement to new material follows testing to demonstrate that the student has thoroughly comprehended all the material contained in the previous PACE.
The Learning Centre develops responsibility, concentration, and self-control while the wisdom inherent in the PACE content develops truthfulness and unselfishness. All other classes enrich and build on this solid foundation.
The Vine Christian School provides academic training in a Christian atmosphere that enriches lives, builds character, and encourages full-time Christian living and service.
The ACE disciplines of personal goal setting, scoring and testing is proven to lead to highly motivated, focused and capable students, well placed to achieve their best.
The core curriculum is enhanced by a co-curriculum to ensure student’s all-round development and to develop their gifts and talents.
The co-curriculum is delivered mainly in the afternoons in co-operative learning groups and is taught in an engaging and interactive way. Group work, presentations, and speaking and listening skills are developed. Specialist subjects include:
- Creative Writing
- Physical Education and Dance
- Design and Technology
- Foreign Languages
- Practical Science
- Practical Maths
- Religious Education
- Citizenship and Personal, Social, Health & Economic Education (PSHE).
The combination of core and co- curriculum provides a breadth of learning experiences while taking into account the ability and achievement levels of individual pupils.
Bible truths and Character training is interwoven into the core curriculum, developing critical thinking and apologetic skills, and science is taught from the Biblical perspective of creation. Children are taught core values and principles to provide them a strong foundation for life. They learn about sixty character traits of Christ through both our daily assemblies and the core curriculum and are encouraged to put these into practice throughout the day.